Thursday, February 08, 2007

And the toppling sand mounds

We are like these things, impermanent and unpinned.
We are like these things, impermanent and unpinned; originally uploaded by yaznotjaz. [Click here for larger view.]

A few things I have been grateful for, so far this week:

one. ...That so many of you took the time to read my last post about Imran Saithna. And that, for once, my commenting system seemed to cooperate just long enough that I could read your own responses to and reflections on Imran's life. One of the things I love most about blogging is the feedback (I admit it) from those who read, and it meant so much to me that you took the time to comment on the one post that meant more to me than anything else I've written in a long, long while. I'm trying to move beyond posting bullet-points and numerical-lists so regularly, and trying to go back to posting deeper, more meaningful pieces of writing. The last entry was a good start, although I wish it didn't have to begin this way. Thank you all again for the comments, the GMail IMs, and the emails. As Rick said on flickr, No one can say exactly what paths one leaves on this earth. May your friend's path be one of heart. Amen to that.

two. ...That my lovely friend A's fiancé has finally woken up, after being hit by a car and unconscious for two days. After the last two days of holding my breath and being too scared to venture saying the word "coma," I am so relieved about this much. The bad news: Both his legs are broken, and doctors are still unsure about the extent of his back injuries. The fact that A is here, halfway across the world and unable to go see him, makes this doubly difficult for her. It broke my heart hearing her voicemessage on Tuesday, hearing her voice say, "I don't really know what to do...'cuz I'm sick, too, and I'm worried...and I'm just trying to be okay, but it's really hard. [His sister's] leaving tomorrow, and his parents the day after...and I get to stay here...by myself." I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to be so far away from someone you love. Please pray that he recovers quickly and fully, so that he and A can live happily ever after in the green house in Berkeley that A covets so much.

three. [I don't know why this list is harder than it usually is. Here's a third thing:] ...Dinner last night with B and N, two of my favorite Pukhtu-speakers and Hindku-speakers, respectively. The evening was filled with rocking (Malaysian) food, beautiful company, and the endless laughter that always characterizes our time together. My new favorite quote is a profound statement by B's father: "There's no point in making money if you can't eat good food." Listening, amused, as both B and N regaled us with stories, I promised N I'd make up some drama of my own, so that I, too, can have stories to share next time we hang out. As someone who prides herself on the fact that her life is "gorgeously drama-free, always," this is really going to be SUCH a process. So, I ask you, how does one imbue one's life with drama? Please provide advice, suggestions, and/or examples.

Labels: