Saturday, August 27, 2005

Don't wait up, we'll be fine, somehow we might get it right

Evidence #49247 on the list of Reasons Why Yasmine is an Incompetent Fool involves me accidentally formatting the memory card on my digital camera and thereby deleting the 200-300 or so photos I took yesterday evening during a wedding mehndi ceremony my sister and I attended. Within two minutes of leaving the bride's home, no less. I wouldn't feel so bad if it weren't for the fact that the wedding party's unprofessional photographer had double-booked and then canceled on them last-minute, and they had asked if my sister and I could cover the photos for the mehndi at least.

Right smack in the middle of Bean and I having our post-event "I had a lot of fun!" "Me too!" exchange while hitting the road to head home, it all went zzzaaaaaaaapppppp. The most comprehensive set of photos from the entire evening, all gone in a split second. All I was trying to do was check how much space I had left on my memory card; one slip of the finger had me pressing "OK" for the "format memory card" option on the same screen. Ouch. With a 1GB card, there was absolutely no reason why I needed to verify space anyway. This obsessive-compulsiveness has got to go, and now.

Result: Lots of cursing; a few frustrated, angry tears; and the singularly awesome Bean consoling me that it was okay, because she had gotten about four rolls of photos, too. So yeah, that was one grand f*ck up, and I can't stop wincing every time I think about it, and I'll probably continue grinding my teeth for another week or so. I can't remember the last time I felt so stupid and useless, and I'm pretty stupid and useless by nature, so that's saying a lot. Freakin' hell.

In much, much happier news: A psychopathically crackheadedly crazily huge congratulations to my lovely Somayya, who got accepted to her top-choice post-baccalaureate premedical program like the smart child that she is. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say where, but rest assured it's in the SF Bay Area, because s'all about the Bay, baby! Come join us on the dark side! Now all I need is a job in the Bay, and we're good to go.

Labels: ,