Wednesday, August 06, 2003

so i wonder when they’re going to start paying me for taking naps

Late-Night AIM Conversation (OR, the Things I Say When I’m Half-Asleep):

Ben: but I want money
Ben: it's nice for buying things
Yasmine: no way? is that what it's for?
Yasmine: wow, I'm so glad you told me
Yasmine: cuz I was thinking maybe you're supposed to eat it or something
Yasmine: or feed it to the cat
Ben: I bet it'd be taasty
Ben: or make good kindling for fires!
Yasmine: yeah, for reals. I should try that out next time
Ben: so what're you doing up so late?
Yasmine: working on a scholarship application
Yasmine: cuz I ate all my money, and now I need more for tuition
Yasmine: I did it bassackwards... I shoulda paid the tuition first and then eaten the leftovers
Yasmine: *siiigh*
Ben: hindsight is 20/20
Yasmine: true true
Yasmine: I need to remember that for next time

I just found out the other day that my application for a $3,000 scholarship was actually, surprisingly accepted. Surprising, because it was rejected last year. And lazy child that I am, I just resubmitted the exact same letters of recommendation and personal statement as last year. The only things that changed a bit were my transcript and resume.

yayyeee babyyyy.
::ahem::
Alhamdulillah.
It'll come in handy, that's for sure. Especially since the UC's are seeing a 30% fee increase starting this fall, and my father has already been paying for all my tuition, fees, parking permits and books out of pocket for three years.

I’ve also managed to make over a hundred dollars by selling back to the university book store about a dozen books from various classes I took last year. I feel so rich I don’t know what to do. Two days ago, I didn’t even have enough change to buy a measly candy bar. Now, wandering around with a hundred dollars in cash makes me feel just plain…whoa! It’s a pretty cool whoa! feeling though. And, so far, all the fun ideas stemming from my newfound wealth seem to involve food, in one form or another. Or maybe I could just go shopping. But I’m not that girly. Shopping, for the most part, bores me. Unless we’re talking about grocery shopping, of course. Then I could disappear for hours, and you’ll most likely find me in the bakery or the deli.

The man who scanned my books couldn’t believe some of the prices. His eyebrows shot up in surprise when one of my used human development textbooks came out to forty-six dollars. “I think it’s too much,” he said a bit grimly, “but I’ll still give it to you.” I laughed. “If I were buying it, I’d agree with you,” I said. “But since I’m selling it, there’s no such thing as too much.”

Which is why I’m still kicking myself for not having had the presence of mind to sell back all my general chemistry, biology, and organic chem textbooks from freshman and sophomore year, as soon as I had finished the series and before they went and changed the books on me. My annoyance and frustration towards all those classes from hell could have been eased a bit if I had received some monetary compensation for my efforts. ‘S all good though.

Funny thing is, most of my English and comparative literature anthologies and novels are still stacked in unsteady piles at the foot of my bed, perfect candidates for a model Leaning Tower of Pisa. I’m far too attached to those to even consider selling them back. To answer your question, Faiza, I like to joke that I’m a wannabe English major. I seriously thought of English or CompLit during my second year, but I like what I’m currently studying too much to go back to those. After all, there’s only so many papers I can write without going insane, and I’m already considered certifiable enough as it is. :)

Labels: ,