Wednesday, November 05, 2003

bartering is the way to go

For iftar today, I ate a kit-kat bar and three mini Reese’s peanut butter cups. But wait, don’t worry, there’s still more left. I have here at my elbow: one king-sized Snickers bar, two mini Snickers, five mini Reese’s peanut butter cups, and a pack of Mambos (they taste just like Starbursts). Yes, this is my life as the weird college student who’s all-too-often stuck inside the computer lab typing up papers while turning down the free iftar (real food!) held at the local masjid down the street. I mean, who in their right mind would make conscious decisions like that?

What I really want right about now is a slice (or two or three) of pizza, and a cold water bottle, but I’ve just rummaged through my wallet, and considering the fact that I have merely $0.71 in there, that’s a pretty ambitious goal at the moment. Darnit, I shoulda cashed in my paycheck this morning.

I’m supposed to be working on a paper. Instead, I’m contemplating what I consider a brilliant idea (these epiphanies always occur when I’m supposed to be immersed in academic pursuits, you notice?). In the spirit of interactive weblogging, let’s have a bartering session. I’ve always been fascinated by the concept of bartering: I give you something, you give me something of comparable value in return. So nice and simple. It’s still practiced in many parts of the world, you know.

So, let’s trade. I’ll give you all my candy bars. I’ll even walk around the corner and down the hall and get you a blue raspberry slurpee, because that I can afford on $0.71. Ooh, I even have some cashews. And a mini-stapler, lots of highlighters, and a couple of legal pads. If y’all are nice, I may even give away my headphones and my beloved TI-83 graphing calculator (dead battery included). But that’s stretching it. Or not. Depends entirely on you.

In return, what do I get?
Y’all can barter with each other, too.
How ‘bout it?

[Apologies to all those of you reading this while fasting. I know how you feel, I really do. I’ll brace myself for hate-mail, but meanwhile join in on the fun, okay?]

Labels: ,