Friday, July 11, 2003

butterflies and books

Okay, so one midterm down; now, a constant stream of midterms, research papers, and final exams planned for the next three weeks. How exciting. If I keep disappearing from my blog for prolonged periods of time, it means I'm pretending to study. Got it?

Hmm, I’m trying to think of interesting things to write, but I’m simultaneously thinking of the midterm I have on Monday, and trying to convince the evil voice in my head that b.s. skills are not an option for this one. Gotta crack those coffee-table decorations…err, I mean, textbooks. Yes, I still need to stop thinking of them as existing strictly for ornamental purposes.

So I’ve changed my preschool deal once again. It’s now on Friday mornings since, during the summer, that's the only day I'm free from classes. Today was fun primarily because all the boys wanted me to make them paper airplanes. I sat there hesitantly folding construction paper, uncertain about whether I even remembered how to make a paper airplane. But my first attempt flew all the way from one end of the room to the other, and that was all the proof the boys needed. Then the girls got into it too, and I have hereby been declared a “paper airplane expert.” So, anyway, I made a bunch of airplanes, and somewhere along the way I had to deal with one of the boys bursting into tears because he somehow got the idea I wasn't making him one after all. Little kids crack me up. They're soo cute though, masha’Allah. The funny part is, just sitting there making paper airplanes totally made my day. Crazy, huh? But very true. It's totally been making me smile all day. I can't help it; I'm a weirdo. It's all good though, because I can admit it, so that makes it normal. Slightly demented, is how I would put it. Hmm, I'm rambling, aren't I? Okay, moving along.

Did a lot of coloring at the preschool today. Crayons are the love of my life (after french fries), in case you didn’t know. There’s nothing quite like balancing precariously on those tiny wooden chairs and madly scribbling away, elbow-to-elbow with 4-year-old artists-in-the-making, to make you feel good. They kept passing me the red crayon, too. What cute kids, see? In between drawing butterflies and flowers for all the girly-girls, I was inundated with requests to make even more paper airplanes. One boy came up behind me, flung his arms around my neck, and said plaintively, “Yasmine....” I said, “Yes, Noah?” He smiled sweetly. “If you make me a paper airplane today, I'll be very proud of you...” It was so cute. The kid already knows how to push people's buttons. And he's only 4. So I made him one too, of course. I mean, how could I resist the whole concept of a 4-year-old being proud of me?

And yes, I love being easily amused; it’s such a skill. Everyone should practice it. If you haven’t yet cultivated the art of being easily amused, I think you had better get to it, yo.

On the way home, I stopped by a used bookstore and bought ten books for seventeen dollars. Very slick, I say. Of course, I’ve read most of them already, but that’s the whole point. I only buy those books which I’ve already read and appreciated enough to want my own copy. I’m seriously in need of at least two more bookcases though, since I have books piled on the floor, crammed into the only bookcase, stashed under my bed and inside my dresser drawers, and even flung somewhere into the far recesses of my closet, I believe. *sigh* They should formulate a twelve-step program for me. “Hi, my name is Yasmine, and I have a problem. I can’t stop buying books, man.”

Alhamdulillah for chill days.

Labels: , ,