Sunday, May 25, 2003

If You Shop For It, I'll Eat It, How 'Bout That?

So Shereenay and our daddy-o are off to do some shopping at Costco and Macy*s and wherever else their adventurous travels take them. lol. I refused to go, not only because shopping never particularly appeals to me, but also because I have three (count 'em, THREE!) research papers to get started on, as well as final exams to begin studying for. *sigh* Besides, the last time I went to Costco with my dad, I nearly drove him insane. It was a long time ago (maybe a year ago), but I'm sure y'all could use some amusement, so here... *claps hands* Story time! Yay! It went like this:

Let me tell you, grocery shopping with my dad is REALLY insane. You give him a grocery list, and to his credit, he'll come back with everything on the list. But he also buys out half the store while he's at it. So we end up getting a million things we never even asked for. I remember once when the two of us went to the grocery store during Ramadan to pick up some fruit for Iftar. It was about an hour before Iftar time, and we were both so hungryyyy, we walked through the bakery section for like half an hour, just staring at all the deserts. In the end, we went home with not only the fruit, but also 2 cartons of ice cream, an apple pie, a fudge chocolate cake, and 2 rolls of chocolate chip cookie dough. LOL. I swear, we were insane. Hahaha.

Oh yeah, so about our Costco shopping endeavor... I was all set to go bake some brownies, cuz I was craving chocolate. Instead, my dad's all, "Let Shereen stay home and bake brownies, since she has a cold, and why don't you come grocery shopping with me." I was like, "I don't think soooo." So he kept insisting, and I kept saying, "Nonononono." I swear, you haven't seen stubborn unless you've seen me in action. I'm six, remember? I could throw a temper tantrum if I wanted to. I've come close to it soooo many times too. Haha. But guess who I inherited all that stubbornness from? *sigh* So my dad finally convinced me, but only because he promised we would go to buy only the 5 things on the list and nothing more (I should known better, huh?). But guess what? You haven't seen annoying either unless you've seen me in action. Haha. Hey, remember I once said I hate self-pity? But I sure do loooove whining when it suits me. You can tell where this is going, right?

So we got to Costco, grabbed the stuff that was on our list, and my dad started heading over to the clothes section. I was like, "Ummm, can we leave soon?" That didn't seem to get his attention, so I was like, "Darnit, I could have been eating my brownies! Fine, I'm going to go look at the books then." That made him hurry up for sure. :) And every time he got sidetracked with something else, I would impatiently whine, "I could have been eating my brownies!!!" So finally he was in hurry to go, and so I said, "Hey, let's stop by the bakery!" Ohhhh boy. So of course I was having tons of fun looking over the desserts, and my dad was all, "Okay, so do you want to go or not?" And I was like, "Well, you made me miss out on my nice, hot, straight-from-the-oven brownies, so you owe me now." He got sooo sick of hearing about my brownies. Hehe.

So we finally got out of Costco, and my dad wanted to stop by this little Afghani store to pick up some naans and spices. *siiiiigh* So we got there and grabbed the spices and stuff, and I was like, "Okay, can we go now?" And my dad was like, "Why are you in such in hurry? You've never even been here before, so I wanted to give you a little tour! Look at you, you're such an ungrateful child." lol!! So now, not only am I a Rebel Child and a Psycho Child, I'm also an Ungrateful Child. :-p But I was all, "Me? I could have been at home eating my brownies! And you're not even giving me a tour; you're staring at those spices. Can we go nowwww?" I swear, I drove the man insaaaane. Hehehe. I love being evil.

And then on the way home, I ate like half of the naan, cuz I was so hungry. And my dad's all, "Yasminay! Control yourself! We're almost home." And I? I, of course, responded with, "Well, if you had let me eat my brownies, I wouldn't be so hungry right now." :-p After we got home though, I gave my dad a big ol' squeezy hug, and said, "I love you, Daddy! That was a lot of fun." You shoulda seen the look on his face! He was alllll suspicious..."Oh yeah? Well, all you did was whine the whole time!" And then he told Shereen, "Your sister is such a pain in the neck! If I were to put you guys in order, Nasser is the most annoying, then Yasmine, and then you. But sometimes, Yasminay is THE most annoying. She says 'No' too much. AND she whines a lot. I should have just left her at home to bake brownies." :-p It was so funny.

So yeah. That's how it goes. :-D Now, I must go back to staring at this screen of research catalogs and journals and electronic databases that I can (hopefully) use for my various papers. Blah. Send some du'as my way. :)