Friday, March 14, 2003

Man, stupid finals have got me all down these days. Everywhere i go, i have exams on the brain. The saddest part is, I haven't really made all that much progress in terms of studying...i've been too exhausted lately to even get to that part. I don't get it...I don't sleep; i'm tired. I DO sleep; i'm still tired. What the hell, man. Got the damn physics final early Monday morning, and still don't know jack. Worried that even the mad b.s. skillz might fail me this time...

Had a meeting at the San Pablo Public Library this morning about the "Stories to Go" program...that's the daycare/preschool volunteering deal, for those of you who've forgotten. Anywayz, it was about a 25 minute drive to get there, and I absolutely loooved the route...680-North to 4-West to 80-West. Highway-4 was simply breathtaking...the view, i mean. I hadn't driven that far on Highway-4 before, so it was an amazing experience...all those rolling green hills and trees EVERYWHERE, plus sunny skies. Very awesome, masha'Allah. I couldn't stop staring at the views. That's what i love the most about living in the SF Bay Area...the mountains. The trees, too. But it was soooo sad driving back towards Davis on 80-East, cuz there was this whole stretch along the freeway where they're LITERALLY cutting away the hillsides to make room for new housing developments and stuff. I'm scared about what the Bay is going to look like 20 years from now. All the mountains razed to make room for mansions for the affluent? As if we don't already have too many of those. :-p

Anywayz, went to the daycare yesterday morning. The little kids are soooooo cute, masha'Allah. After i finished reading to them, I went over and chilled with some kids as they were coloring. After a few minutes of envious watching, I grabbed a piece of construction paper and did some crayon-wielding of my own (hey, gotta practice for when i have time to put my own 96-pack-with-the-built-in-sharpener to use, ya know!!). This one kid, Jaden...sooo cute; he's got big dark eyes, this caramel-kinda skin tone, and a HUUUGE cloud of wildly curly blonde hair, plus simply the most ADORABLE gap-toothed grin I've ever seen in a 4-year-old....so he comes over, peers in silent interest over my shoulder for a few minutes, then goes, "Are you drawing that for my mama?? THANK YOU!!" I was like, uhhhh no? He gave me the adorable gap-toothed grin. I gave him the infamous cheesy smile and kept a tight grip on my own drawing. hahahaha. It was so hilarious though.

Damn finals are stressing me out, but one awesome thing about this whole week has been the fact that i've been hearing from old friends, either over the internet or in real life. On Monday, i checked my emails and saw an old friend's name in my inbox...totally made me smile. It was a contrite little email filled with apologies for being "ten days behind the rest of the world" in wishing me a happy birthday. I was like, awwww. hahah. Tuesday, i got a looooong email from Zainab in Bahrain. Girl, you definitely deserve an award for being so awesome about keeping in touch when i'm such a slacker in that department. If you came back to the U.S. for your Master's, i'd be soooooooo excited. Yes, do that, and then i promise you'll get the best crayon drawing PLUS it's a date at Baskin Robbins ;) Yesterday, i was walking across campus and literally came face-to-face with a good friend from 9-10th grades. We were both like, OMG. hahahaha. Again, i slack off when it comes to keeping in touch, so after i moved back to the Bay, we never heard from each other, apart from phone calls the first couple months. Had an awesome reunion though. Stood there talking to her for 15 minutes, and then she had to run to class and i had to go tutor. Exchanged email addresses (she doesn't have AIM! omg! smart child though...AIM is freakin addicting). The funniest part was when i asked how stuff's going, and she was like, "Oh man, busy with either school or work all the time." I was like, "Where do you work?" She was all, "Unitrans." I was like, "Oh! Do you know Aaron??" She was all, "YES!" So i told her that Aaron's a good friend of mine from high school in Walnut Creek, and she was just like, "Whaaaaaaat, no way!" hahaha. I remember Zarqa once told me, "Man, Yaz, everyone i meet already knows you!" lol. Everyone i know already knows each other. And everyone knows me too, somehow. It's like six degrees of separation, with the Yaz at the center. LOL. Which reminds me, this morning i was walking to class and passed by this girl. She smiled straight at me and called out, "Heyyyyy." I was all thinking, uhhh do i know you? She sure acted like she did. Umm, she looked kinda familiar too. lol. I just gave her the cheesy Yaz smile and responded, "Hey, how's it goin?" and kept walking. Man, i really need to get with the world...

But yeah, running into old friends, whether online or for reals, was very cool. Reminded me how great it is to have lasting friendships in the first place, and how difficult it is to maintain them. Thanks to my dad's nomadic tendencies, i've gone through one elementary school, 3 junior high/middle schools, and two high schools. Born in Berkeley (but only cuz i was a preemie baby and they rushed my mama to the hospital there), 12 years in Walnut Creek, one year in Sacramento, 18 months in Pakistan, 3 years in Davis, have been back in Walnut Creek for almost 5 years now, and go to university in Davis. Man, crazy stuff. Going around in circles...story of my life, yo. :-p I'd really like to write at length about the Pakistan deal on here one of these days...that was an awesome defining trip for all of us, in various ways. Got an essay i could post on here. Remind me. Meanwhile, have beautiful days, y'all!